If you are an Xbox owner, you might need to change your password sometimes. Changing your password in your Xbox account often is very important since your Xbox account contains your personal information and you should keep it protected. To protect your account from hackers, it’s better to change your Xbox password at least once a month. Today in this article, we will discuss how to reset the password on Xbox One X, S, and Xbox 360.
Xbox is one of the most popular gaming consoles around the world. There are more than 65 million Xbox users worldwide. The next Xbox is about to be released in November 2020. Many people still use the Xbox 360 and X box one X and many games are released to these consoles each year.
Xbox live account
When you first set up your Xbox you are asked to create or add a Microsoft account with your Xbox. This account keeps all your personal information and data. This is just like a normal Microsoft account and you can log in to this account from Xbox or even from PC by signing into https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live. When creating an account make sure you remember the email and the phone number you enter to that account. To change or reset your password you need to have either the email address or the verified phone number with you.
Reset Xbox live password using the console
- Turn on your console and go to sign in the menu by pressing the button with the Xbox logo in the controller.
- Provide the email or the verified phone number of your Xbox live account.
- When the enter your password appears, click on the ‘forgot my password’ button below.
- You will be given a captcha to complete. Complete it and click next.
- Now you will be sent a ‘reset code’ This could be sent to either your email or the phone number which is associated with your Xbox live account.
- Check your email and phone to retrieve the code. Enter it in the box given.
- Now you can reset the password and give a new password.
Once the password is changed, you can sign in to your Xbox live account with the new password.
Reset Xbox live password using smartphone or PC
You can reset the password of your Xbox live account via Microsoft’s official website. Go to this link to reset your password.
- Enter the phone number or the email address which is associated with your Xbox live account. If you have a skype name associated with this account you can use that too.
- As said previously, you will receive a code to reset your password to your email or your phone number.
- Enter the passcode and you will be allowed to put a new password to your account.
Now you can turn on your console and sign in to the Xbox live account with the new password.
Mind that Microsoft uses the same account for many of its services. This means if you are using one Microsoft account for your PC, skype, Xbox, and other Microsoft services, the password would be changed in every service you use. So keep that in mind when you change the password unless you might ending up changing your password each time you sign in to Microsoft account from different services.
What if you cannot access the email or phone number you used to create the account?
If you cannot access the email or the phone number which you used to create the account things will get a little bit complicated. If this happens you will need to fill out an account recovery form to get back your account. You can go to this link and follow the relevant steps.
Setting up a passkey to Xbox console.
Passkey is just a 6 digit numerical pin that you can put to your Xbox. By adding a passkey you can have additional security on your Xbox. If you live in a place where there are lots of people and if many people are using your Xbox it is better to add a passkey to your Xbox.
To add a passkey follow the steps,
- Press the Xbox button on the console to go to settings.
- Click on ‘System’ then choose settings.
- Go to the Account tab and select Sign-in and security.
- Go to Create my passkey; you will be able to set up 6 digit passkey for your console.
- Now go to change sign-in and security preferences. There is an option ‘Ask for my passkey’ Select that.
You will be asked to enter the passkey when you buy something through Xbox from the Xbox console. And if you have parental controls enabled, it can prevent your child from making unauthorized changes to your console. If you forget your passkey you can simply reset it using the Microsoft account.
What if you cannot reset the password and recover the account?
If you cannot reset the password and recover the account, the only option is to remove the existing account and add a new one. You can create a new account on the PC or console itself, or you can use another Microsoft account which you currently use.
To remove the account,
- Go to the guide by pressing the Xbox button.
- Go to Profile and system. Select Settings > Account > Remove accounts.
- The list of accounts in the console will be shown there. Select the account you want to remove and select Remove to remove the selected account.
- Select close to the finish.
To add a new account,
- Go to Guide.
- Go to Profile & System. Select Add or switch > add new.
- Now, If you have a Microsoft account, enter the email address of that account. Otherwise, click on Get a new account.
- Enter the password then click enter. Click on I accept on the service agreement and privacy statement page.
- Then you will be asked to follow some steps to set up your sign-in and security settings, complete them and the account will be added successfully.