Chromecast is the best way to mirror your phone’s content to the big screen if you don’t have a smart tv. Chromecast is compatible with not only mobile phones but also other types of devices such as tablets. By using Chromecast, you can share content such as Videos, Pictures to your TV and can see them on your TV. Chromecast connects to the internet via Wi-Fi, So if you do not have Wi-Fi you will need to set up a mobile hotspot and connect the devices to the Chromecast. In this article, we take a look at how to connect Chromecast to a mobile hotspot.
How to connect Chromecast to the mobile hotspot using a Wi-Fi router
To connect the Chromecast to the internet via your mobile phone internet, you need a WI-FI router. This method may seem a bit confusing at first but this works well. What we will do is that we will “trick” the Chromecast to connect to the mobile hotspot in your phone. First, read the instructions below carefully.
- The WIFI router DOES NOT need to be connected to the internet.
- The Chromecast should be able to connect to the Wi-Fi router JUST ONCE.
- You should know the SSID (connection name) and the PASSWORD of the Wi-Fi router.
Now if you have a Wi-Fi router follow the steps below.
- Connect the Chromecast to the Wi-Fi router.
- Now in your Phone, create a Hotspot with the SAME NAME AND PASSWORD as the Wi-Fi router. (if you do not know how to set up a mobile hotspot in your phone, instructions are given below)
- Now TURN OFF the Wi-Fi Router.
- Turn on the mobile hotspot you created on the mobile phone.
- Go to the Google Home app and cast to Chromecast.
The Chromecast will then connect to your mobile hotspot without any trouble. What happens here is that since your Phone has the same SSID and password same as the Wi-Fi router, it will connect to the mobile hotspot. Otherwise, the mobile hotspot device you set up in your may not be visible to the Chromecast device.
How to connect Chromecast to the mobile hotspot using a secondary device
If you have a secondary device that can create hotspots you can use that device to connect your phone and Chromecast. This device could be a phone, tablet, or even a laptop. The process is simple, create a hotspot using your secondary device and then connect both the Chromecast and your mobile phone to the hotspot network.
Setting up a hotspot on your mobile device.
You can easily set up a hotspot on your phone, tablet, or laptop. You can give a network name you like and set up a password for the network. When a Hotspot is created using your mobile device it acts as a Wi-Fi router. The devices connected to the hotspot will consume your mobile data if mobile data is turned on. Nearly 10 devices can connect to the mobile hotspot at once and connecting more devices to the hotspot will slow down the connection for all the devices. We will describe to you how to create a hotspot on your mobile phone.
In Android devices,
1. Go to settings > Connections.
2. Go to mobile Hotspot and tethering.
3. Click on the tab to go to options
4. Click on the configure button to change the name and default password.
5. Click on save and turn on the hotspot to start using the hotspot.
In Apple devices, the hotspot automatically gets the name of the device. So if you want to change the name of the Hotspot name you need to change the name of the iPhone. Password however can be changed from the settings.
To turn on hotspot in Apple devices,
- Go to Settings > Cellular.
- Select Personal hotspot.
- Click on the Wi-Fi password and change the password.
- Turn on “Allow others to join “to turn on the Hotspot.
To change the name of the hotspot (change the name of iPhone)
- Go to Settings > General
- Go to about.
- Tap on Name,
- Clear the name and change the name as you want. Then Tap done.
Also Read: How to Play Slideshow on Chromecast?