This post will teach you how to block a group text on Android. Why? This is because practically everyone who has an Android smartphone is a member of at least one group chat these days. Anyone, from relatives to friends to coworkers, might be the subject of this article. Using group texting is convenient since it allows you to keep up with everyone without making individual calls or sending private messages.
No one, however, wants to be inundated with texts every few minutes. Let’s be honest about it. In addition to being inconvenient, it may be disruptive. As a result, you may find yourself checking your phone dozens or even hundreds of times each day, leading to a decrease in concentration and efficiency.
What exactly is Android group texting?
First, let’s get the facts straight: Group messaging, or group texting, is a way to send one single message to a group of people. It can be done through a short messaging service (SMS) or a multimedia messaging service (MMS). Android didn’t even exist yet when this kind of texting service was already offered to consumers.
Despite widespread misconceptions, group text is not synonymous with group chat. When it comes to group chat, it is more characterized by using an internet connection. However, it is more defined by cellular services when it comes to group messaging.
However, as previously said, this may be a source of irritation at times. Consequently, you would search for “how to block a group text on Android.” Here are three methods you can use to impact and address the issue:
Method 1: Disable all group text messages on an Android device
To prevent any messages sent in the group chat from reaching your device, you may block all group members at once using the block all feature. The Textra SMS app on your Android device must be installed and set as your default messaging application to do this.
The way it works is as follows:
- Open the Google Play Store on your smartphone, or go to this page to download it.
- Textra SMS is a free application that can be downloaded and installed.
- Once installed, you’ll be prompted to set the app as your default messaging app. In the pop-up box, be sure you choose “Textra SMS.” You may sync your messages automatically when you have made the app your preferred application.
- To access the group text, open it and click on the down arrow in the upper right corner of your screen.
- If you want to block all incoming messages in the group text, click on the three little dots in the upper right corner and choose “Blocklist” from the pop-up submenu that appears.
Method 2: Turn off all notifications from the group text message
Leaving a group text on Android is as simple as following this guide. Though we have listed this as the second method, you can use this method before moving on to other methods. To begin with, turn off notifications for the undesired text group so that you aren’t notified every time a new message arrives. In this case, muting a group text message won’t solve the problem for good. However, it will stop you from being disrupted every time there’s a new text in the group by an annoying group member! If you don’t delete or block the sender, you’ll still see the messages in your inbox, which will keep flowing until you do. Here’s how you can do it:
- Make sure you’re in the group chat you wish to mute in your SMS messaging app.
- Select Group Details from the drop-down menu (the one with three dots) after clicking on the menu button.
- Toggle off the option for “Allow notifications” in the notifications section by tapping on the section’s title.
A crossed bell symbol should appear next to the group message, indicating that you will no longer be troubled by notifications from that conversation. Depending on which messaging app you’re using and which Android-powered phone brand you possess, the procedure may vary somewhat from one another.
Method 3: Blocking a Specific Group Text on an Android Phone
There’s always that one person who messages incessantly in any group chat, even when they don’t have anything to say.
The sender may send an overwhelming number of messages in a short period of time to attract everyone’s attention. In particular, when you’re trying to focus on a job while keeping an ear out for vital messages or phone calls, it might be a distraction.
It is possible to individually block the sender if you find yourself in any of these scenarios. If this is the case, you won’t get any messages from them. You’ll still get notifications from everyone else in the group, though. How to go about it is as follows:
- Open the messaging app on your phone
- Go to the group chat room by clicking on it.
- To access the group text’s settings page, click on the ellipsis (three vertical dots) in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “People & Options” from the drop-down menu. This is where you should see a list of everyone who has participated in the group text.
- Pick “block” from the drop-down menu next to their name to block a specific member.
- To confirm, press the “block” button on the pop-up screen.
This in-depth explanation of blocking group text on Android covers all the ground you need to know about the subject. However, we must advise you to exercise caution while quitting a messaging group. For example, it would be disrespectful of you to abruptly leave a text group you had created with your pals. The best course of action in this situation is to mute the group text. If someone is sending you an excessive number of SMS, you may block them individually.